Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 6, 2011

OLIVE TREES AS ORNAMENTALS


ORIENTAL INFLUENCE

Olives trained as 'clouds'. Known as niwaki, this form of topiary is a Japanese technique, used for bonsai as well as full-sized trees. You can read about it here.
I took this photo at Heyne's Garden Centre, Beulah Park, South Australia.


OLIVE AS A STREET TREE

This may be a feral tree, there are lots in this area of Adelaide. Or perhaps someone planted it; either way, the Council left it alone and it has grown into a beautiful tree which really enhances the street.

When we first moved here, an Italian family would visit each year to harvest the olives from this tree (olives from feral trees are small but delicious to eat; you can buy them in the markets here).



MEDITERRANEAN INFLUENCE IN AN ADELAIDE GARDEN

Three young Corregiola olives in terra cotta pots. Corregiolas are grown for their oil, but, only having these three trees, we have found that they make fine table olives. It's lovely to be able to pick and preserve our own olives!

11 comments:

  1. Hi, could you explain what a "Corregiola" olive is please? I assume it is one of the very many cultivars but I know knothing much about olive varieties (other than the ones I like to buy and eat!). Many thanks, Dark Puss

    ReplyDelete
  2. I misspelt it - it's Correggiola. It is one of the many cultivars as you suggest, and is closely related to the Frantoio. There's a lot more on this subject at http://www.oliveoilonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753
    It's very popular with Australian growers,and produces lovely oil. It's a vigorous grower, and we're going to be doing quite a bit of pruning as times goes on!
    Thanks for your enquiry,
    Regards, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cloud pruning is wonderful - and what a great idea for olive trees! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, elmtrees. I first saw 'cloud' trees in Bangkok, and was immediately captivated. Olives do make beautiful specimens of this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! the photo of 'clouds' is fantastic. What beautiful light you have in Adelaide. I notice it again in the photo of three olive trees in pots. Gilly

    ReplyDelete
  6. The light here can be lovely, Gilly. All part of the Mediterranean ambience of this part of the State, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of olive trees growing 'wild' at the side of the road. I look forward to following your blog and wish you every success.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! It's lovely to walk along the street and see the olive tree flourishing there. It's having its off year this year, no olives, but there will be plenty next year.

    I love your blog, and your website; I'd love to have an olive-picking holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Elizabeth,
    Thanks so much for your kind comment.
    I adore olive trees, I find them so interesting to draw and I love olives!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michala,
    I know your (real) name because I have the Stitch magazine which features your work; you can see I've been a fan for quite a while!
    Also I've just found your drawings of olive trees on your blog - just lovely!
    Thanks for your comment, greatly appreciated.
    E x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this.. NJ Tax Records

    ReplyDelete